How to Install TWRP Recovery via Fastboot on Android Devices
Today, in this guide, we’ll tell you how to Install TWRP Recovery via Fastboot on Android devices. We’ll use Fastboot commands on a PC to install TWRP Recovery via Fastboot on Android. Just read and follow the given steps carefully, and you’ll find this guide very simple and easy. If you are not aware of Fastboot, then Fastboot/bootloader mode enables you to flash any partition on an Android device like a system, boot, recovery, and cache etc. Also, not only the partition images from OEMs, you can flash the custom-built .img files via fastboot such as (CWM/TWRP) custom recoveries.
This guide is working with most of the Android phones and tablets. Although devices like Samsung devices may not work with this guide, we have already shared a detailed guide for Samsung devices, and you can use Odin Flash tool to install TWRP recovery. With the help of TWRP recovery, you can take a full backup/restore of your Android phone, and flash unsigned zip files including rooting scripts, custom ROMs / MODs etc. as well. Now proceed to the given guide to install TWRP Recovery via Fastboot on any Android device.
You can easily download the correct TWRP recovery by navigating to the official TeamWin’s website. We have already shared a guide that How To Download Latest TWRP Recovery on Android Phones. For most devices, you will only find the Fastboot flashable .img files of TWRP. But if you have a Samsung Galaxy device, you’ll also find a .tar file.
So if you have downloaded the appropriate TWRP recovery .img file for your device then follow the given guide to Install TWRP Recovery via Fastboot on Android. TWRP is one of the most popular Android custom recoveries that used to replace the stock recovery on Android phones. TWRP brings a lot of amazing features that you can’t find in stock recovery.
- Download and install the correct USB drivers on your PC for Android device.
- Setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC. Follow this guide to install ADB and Fastboot with Drivers on Windows
- Enable USB debugging on your device. Here is How to Enable Developer Options, USB Debugging and OEM Unlock on Android
- The bootloader of your Android phone should be unlocked. Follow this guide to Unlock Bootloader Of Android Devices Using Fastboot
- The battery level of your phone should be 50 to 80% before proceeding to the installation guide.
When you have the TWRP recovery .img file downloaded for your device, follow the instructions below to flash TWRP recovery via Fastboot.
How to Install TWRP Recovery via Fastboot On Android Devices:
- Download a compatible TWRP recovery .img file for your Android device on the desktop of your PC.
- Navigate to the folder where you saved the TWRP Recovery .img file.
- Now open a command window within that folder. To do so, “Shift + Right click” on any empty white space inside the folder and then select “Open command window here” from the context menu.
- Connect your Android phone to the PC using its USB data cable. Type following command into the command window to boot your device into bootloader/fastboot mode:
adb reboot bootloader
- Rename the downloaded recovery filename to twrp.img
- While your device boots now into bootloader mode, give the following command to start flashing the TWRP recovery .img file:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- After the TWRP installation completes successfully, issue the following command to reboot your device.
- Issue the following command to boot your device into the newly installed TWRP recovery
adb reboot recovery
These were the easy steps on How to Install TWRP Recovery via Fastboot on Android devices.
Done! You have successfully installed TWRP recovery on your device. Let us know in the comments area below if you have any issues or question related to this post.