Install a Custom ROM using TWRP Recovery on Android Devices
Here is How to Flash/Install a Custom ROM using TWRP Recovery on Android devices. You can use this guide to install any third party ROM such as Lineage OS, CyanogenMod, Resurrection Remix, crDroid or other AOSP ROMs on your Android phone. Custom ROMs are one of the best things about Android.
After installing a custom ROM, you can feel the difference in the Performance, Battery Life, customization options and a lot of features which are not possible to get in a stock ROM. Now go ahead and follow the given guide to install a Custom ROM using TWRP Recovery on Android devices.
You can use this guide to Flash/Install a Custom ROM using TWRP Recovery (AOSP ROMs) on Android phones and tablets. All you need to download the correct ROM by verifying that it’s compatible with your phone model. TWRP recovery will enable you to flash unsigned .zip files.
These .zip files can range from custom recovery, kernel, boot, MODs, or full custom ROMs. Make sure that the bootloader of your device is unlocked and the latest version of TWRP recovery is already installed on it. Then just flash the Custom ROM Zip file via TWRP recovery.
What is a Custom ROM:
Most of the new Android users don’t know about custom ROMs. This guide will let you know about a custom ROM and step-by-step instructions to Install a Custom ROM using TWRP Recovery on Android devices.
You may already know that the term ROM, stands for reading Only Memory. A custom ROM is based on Android platform and it’s a phone’s firmware. As, Android is an open source platform, so developers are free to edit its code, re-release and recompile for most of the Android smartphones and tablets. You can easily flash custom ROMs to taste the amazing features and change the
device’s appearance and behavior. Custom ROMs are not officially released by phone’s manufacturers like Samsung, Sony, LG, HTC or Asus, etc as the Android community develop or modify them by adding customizations and extra features. Custom ROMs are available for Android smartphones, tablets, and media players, etc for free.
Android phones come with a “stock ROM” or the “stock firmware” out of the box. New Android devices are running on the official (stock firmware) which is called pre-installed Android OS. A stock ROM is better but comes with limited functionality as defined by the phone’s manufacturer. But after flashing a custom ROM, you can unlock extra features and improve the performance to get much of your device.
In this guide, we have given some easy steps that will help you to flash a custom ROM using TWRP recovery. Please follow the given instructions carefully, otherwise, you’ll risk rendering your phone inoperable (brick) if you do something incorrectly while flashing a ROM.
For This Guide, You will Need:
Custom Recovery (TWRP)
For Samsung Devices:
- Create a proper Nandroid backup of all your important data before proceeding to the installation guide to flash a custom ROM.
- Make sure your device is rooted and you have a Custom Recovery Like TWRP Is Installed.
- USB Drivers
Install a Custom ROM using TWRP Recovery on Android Devices:
- First of all, download the correct custom ROM and Google Apps compatible with your Android device.
- Now, transfer the ROM and Gapps zip files to the internal storage or sd card (root folder) on your device.
- Boot your phone into TWRP recovery.
- While your device is now in TWRP Recovery, go to the main menu of TWRP and select “Wipe”. Do a “Swipe to Factory Reset” on the bottom of the screen.
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on “Install” and locate the ROM .zip file that you already transferred to your device in Step 1.
- Select the ROM zipped file and do “Swipe to Confirm Flash” on the bottom of the screen to start the installation process. This process may take some time, so please wait.
- Once the custom ROM installation successfully completes, you’ll see “Wipe cache/dalvik” option, select it and then do “Swipe to wipe” on the bottom of the screen.
- Finally, install the Google Apps zip file by following the same steps given above.
- Once the flashing completes, tap on “Back” button on-screen and then select “Reboot System.”
That’s All! You have successfully flashed a custom ROM on your Android device. Your phone will take some time, about 4 to 5 minutes to boot for the first time after installation.
How To Root Android Devices with Magisk v16.4:
If you want to root your device then you can use the following guide to your Android device with Magisk.
Let us know in the comments area below if you have any issues or questions related to the above guide while flashing a custom ROM using TWRP Recovery on Android devices.