Today, we are sharing a detailed guide on How To Flash / Install OTA Update using ADB Sideload Method and Stock Recovery (apply update from ADB). You can use the given guide for all Android devices, all you need to have the right OTA firmware file. When a mobile manufacturer like Samsung, HTC, LG or Sony etc release a newer version of Security patch, Android version, these are delivered to the Android devices straight via OTA (over-the-air). The most trustable method to update Android devices is Over-The-Air. Here, we’ll use a few simple Fastboot commands using a PC to install OTA update using ADB Sideload Method and stock recovery manually. So, proceed to the given guide to install OTA updates manually (Stock ROM Zip files) using ADB sideload commands.
When the new Android version is available then it takes some days or weeks to reach to all devices all over the world. Most OEMs roll out incremental OTA updates which are often roll out in stages and may take a few days to weeks to arrive, so either you will wait or you can update your device manually. No one like wait! So if you can’t wait then you can download the official OTA update and manually install it yourself. Users who have already received the OTA updates can publicly share the .zip file of the update as the OEMs won’t give you this directly. Follow the given guide to install OTA update using ADB Sideload method and stock recovery.
Stock Recovery is the commonly used and preferred tool that comes embedded on all Android devices. It comes with many options that enable you to manually install OTA update zip either by using a generic ADB command or picking them directly from the phone’s storage. There is no need to unlock the bootloader of your Android device while doing sideload OTA update. Also, sideloading doesn’t wipe the data stored on your device. So if you’ve downloaded the correct OTA update .zip file then just follow the instructions below to manually install OTA update using ADB Sideload Method and Stock Recovery.
How To Install OTA Update using ADB Sideload Method & Stock Recovery
Before going ahead, read the pre-requirements to prepare for the given process.
- Setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC
- Download and install USB Driver for your device on your PC.
- Make sure you have the stock recovery
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone by navigating to Settings – Developer Options.
- Make sure that your device has at least 60 to 70% battery left before proceeding.
- Download the OTA update .zip file on your PC and rename it to update.zip
Method 1: Install OTA Update using Stock Recovery “Apply update from SD card”
Please note that you’ll most probably need a stock recovery to install OTA updates manually on your Android devices.
- First of all, download the OTA update .zip file and transfer/copy to the root folder of your Android device’s internal storage.
- Boot your device into Recovery Mode. To do this, Power OFF your device and hold down the Power OFF + Volume Down key simultaneously for 2-3sec.
- When a Recovery menu appears, you can use the Volume buttons to move up and down and select the Recovery option from the menu by pressing Power OFF button.
- Select the option “Apply update” or “Apply update from phone storage”.
Navigate to select the OTA .zip file that you have already transferred in Step 1. Install it.
Once the installation is finished, select reboot from the main menu of Recovery.
Method 2: Install OTA Update using ADB Sideload Method “Apply update from ADB”
- Download the OTA update .zip file on your PC and rename it to update.zip.
Connect your device to PC using its USB data cable.
Now go to the folder where you downloaded/saved the update.zip file. Open the command prompt window here by Holding Shift key + Right click > Select Open Command Prompt Window Here
Next, issue this command to boot your device into recovery mode:
adb reboot recovery
Check your phone’s screen, if it asks for “Allow USB debugging”, accept it by selecting OK/Yes.
- While your device is now in recovery mode, use Volume buttons to navigate up and down between options and Power button to select options.
Select the “Apply update from ADB” option.
To begin installation just type the following command and this will begin the OTA installation.
adb sideload ota.zip
- Once the installation process successfully completes, go to the main recovery menu and select reboot.
These were the easy methods to Install OTA Update using ADB Sideload Method and Stock Recovery. Hope this guide serves you well.
Let us know in the comments area below if you have any issues or questions related to the above guide.