We are going to share a step-by-step guide on How to Install TWRP Recovery using Odin on Samsung Android Devices. Odin is a small tool developed by Samsung. Odin is normally used internally to update/flash custom ROMs, Official OTA Updates, kernels, and other similar files on Samsung devices manually. You can also use Odin flashing tool to flash stock Samsung ROMs, and custom recoveries like TWRP. Let’s start flashing TWRP via Odin now. All you need to have the right TWRP recovery file for your device and follow the given easy and simple process on how to flash TWRP Recovery on Samsung Devices using Odin.
TWRP custom recovery is required to install third party ROMs, kernels, in case of soft bricked and most importantly to root your device by flashing SuperSu. So if you want to perform any of the mentioned tasks on your device, you need to have TWRP recovery installed. You can unbrick your phone, unlock the bootloader, root, unroot, update, return back to stock ROM. So proceed to Install TWRP Recovery on Samsung device using Odin.
What is TWRP Recovery?
TWRP (TeamWin Recovery Project) is an open source custom recovery developed and maintained by the folks over at TeamWin. TWRP recovery is available as both official and unofficial builds and you can use TWRP custom recovery to perform various tasks on your Android phone. You can create a complete device (nandroid) backup, install/flash rooting scripts like SuperSU, Custom ROMs/MODs, and other similar stuff.
You can easily download TWRP recovery from TeamWin’s official repository for your device. In this guide, you’ll learn that How to Install TWRP Recovery On Samsung Devices Using Odin.
Full step-by-step guide to install TWRP recovery on any Samsung device using Odin 3.10.6
- Make a proper backup of all your important data before proceeding to the installation guide.
- Your device must have an unlocked bootloader.
- The battery level of your device should be at least about 70% to avoid unexpected shutdowns.
- Download and install Samsung USB Drivers on your PC.
Note: Make sure to get the .tar file of TWRP recovery for your Samsung device to be able to flash/install using Odin.
How to Install TWRP Recovery using Odin:
- First of all, download Odin flashing tool on the desktop of your computer from the above link.
- Unzip the Odin 3.12.3 .zip file.
- Run/open Odin3 v3.12.3.exe file as an Administrator from the extracted files on your PC.
Make sure you’ve downloaded the correct Odin flashable TWRP recovery .tar file compatible for your phone from the above link.
Enable OEM unlock: (only required for Galaxy Note 5 and Galaxy S6 edge+ devices)
Navigate to Settings » About phone » and tap Build number seven times to enable Developer options on your phone.
Now, go back to main Settings page and scroll to bottom and choose Developer options.
Under Developer options, look for Enable OEM unlock checkbox/toggle and enable it.
Next, boot your device into Download Mode. Follow the given steps:
- Switch off your device.
- Press and hold “Home + Power + Volume down” buttons at the same time for a few seconds until you see a warning screen.
- Press Volume Up on the warning screen to accept it and boot into Download mode.
While your Samsung phone is now in download mode, connect it to the PC using its USB data cable. The Odin window on PC will detect the device automatically and will show an “Added!!” message.
On Odin, click on the AP tab and locate the TWRP recovery .tar file that you have already downloaded for your device.
- Initiate the process by clicking the Start button on Odin. This process may take some time, so be patient. Once the process completes successfully, you’ll see a pass message on the Odin screen.
Important: Never play with any other options on the screen. You’re only required to connect your device and select the TWRP recovery .tar file in the AP tab.
Your device will automatically reboot when Odin is done flashing. You can then disconnect your device.
How to Boot Samsung Galaxy Device into TWRP Recovery:
- First Switch off your device.
- Press and hold “Home + Power + Volume Up” buttons for a few seconds and till you see your device’ logo on-screen, release three buttons altogether.
- Your device will boot into TWRP recovery
This was an easy guide on How to Install TWRP Recovery using Odin on Samsung Android Devices. If you have any questions related to this post then feel free to ask in the comment area below.